Swiss Krono USA, one of the largest manufacturers of laminate flooring in the U.S., announced on February 26, 2018, that its laminate wood flooring earned UL GREENGUARD Certification, giving families a healthier flooring option. Recognized and referenced by over 400 codes, rating systems, and procurement policies worldwide, UL’s GREENGUARD Gold Certification Program requires that products meet some of the world’s most rigorous standards for low emissions of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) into indoor environments.
Using dynamic environmental chamber testing, Swiss Krono USA laminate wood floors were tested for total VOCs, formaldehyde, and over 300 VOCs with health-based limits. The GREENGUARD Gold label validates that these floors are low-emitting and support healthy indoor environments.
“Swiss Krono USA has always been focused on offering safe, sustainable flooring. But with asthma reaching epidemic proportions, we saw a need to ensure that consumers know our flooring continues to be safe for homes, especially for kids and pets. The GREENGUARD Gold Certification provides consumers with third party verification that our laminate floors are a healthier option than other floors in the market. We want to deliver families great products and peace of mind,” said Erik Christensen, CEO and President of Swiss Krono USA.
“By earning the GREENGUARD Gold Certification, Swiss Krono USA has demonstrated their dedication to supporting healthier indoor environments, a critically important effort, as Americans spend upwards of 90% of their time indoors,” said Alberto Uggetti, Vice President and General Manger, UL Environment, a division of UL (Underwriters Laboratories) that works to advance global sustainability, environmental health, and safety by supporting the growth and development of environmentally preferable products, services, and organizations.
We are FloorScore® certified
In many ways, laminate flooring is an earth-friendly flooring solution, because the idea behind laminate flooring is to faithfully recreate the beauty of natural wood in a more durable, longer lasting floor.
Swiss Krono USA technology not only gives us the ability to recreate the color, tonal variations and textures of different wood species but can preserve that natural beauty so it can withstand the wear, foot traffic and occasional accidents that come with everyday living.
Our FloorScore® Certification proves that there are many ways Swiss Krono laminate floors are a healthier flooring solution for your home and for the planet:
- Sustainable core – All of our laminate-flooring designs contain a wood-fiber core made with ecologically sustainable pine trees, allowing us to bring you the look and feel of exotic hardwoods without harming exotic or endangered species.
- Efficient production – We are able to use almost every part of the tree when Swiss Krono laminate flooring is made, providing a more efficient manufacturing process.
- No harsh chemicals needed – Swiss Krono laminate flooring requires very minimal maintenance and unlike hardwood, it will never need to be refinished. Regular sweeping and occasional damp mopping with our mild cleaning solution will keep your floor looking like new for years to come, with no need for harsh chemicals.
- Simple installation – With our mechanical locking systems, Swiss Krono laminate floors install easily without the need for glue or nails. This simple installation process means fewer power tools are needed, which results in less energy use and less waste.
- It’s here for the long haul – With warranties of 30 years or more, Swiss Krono laminate flooring is more durable than carpet or hardwood, and won’t have to be replaced nearly as often. This translates to less waste being sent to a landfill.
- Low VOC inks – The decorative paper layer used in Swiss Krono laminate flooring is printed with water-based, low volatile organic compound inks, which are safer for consumers and the environment.
- Responsible packaging – Swiss Krono laminate flooring cartons are made from recycled cardboard.
Why it Matters
FloorScore® is a certification program established by the Resilient Floor Covering Institute (RFCI) for hard surface flooring and flooring adhesives products that meet strict indoor air quality equirements. Products bearing the FloorScore label meet the indoor air quality emissions criteria of LEED, CHPS, the Green Guide for Health Care, and are recognized by a long list of healthy building programs.
With adults spending nearly 90% of their time indoors – where pollutant levels can be two to five times higher than outdoor air – achieving good indoor air quality has become a concern for many home and building owners. Elevated levels of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) can cause short- and long-term health issues ranging from triggering asthma and allergy attacks to neurological and respiratory disease. FloorScore® Certified products show significant reduction in both the individual chemicals emitting from the products as well as the overall levels of chemicals being released.
“We are very excited to make this certification,” Travis Bass of Swiss Krono USA says. “We take tremendous pride in our ability to manufacture high quality laminate flooring in Barnwell, S.C., that is able to achieve such stringent standards for low chemical emissions, with regular and rigorous testing and verification.”